So another fine day and I am going through a word-list swot up session ( Yay, life! -.-‘ ) and I come across this word ‘Sinistral‘ which means (and the quote the wordweb dictionary) – “Of or on the left / preferring to use the left foot, hand or eye”
(not the left ear?! such a shame) and the antonym of it is ‘Dextral’ – “Of or on the right / preferring to use the right foot, hand or eye”
So for some obvious reasons Sinistral comes from the root word Sinister (referring to everything evil and tragic) while Dextral comes from Dexterity/Dexterous (referring to skillful in movement).
I am a left handed and I fail to understand that why is left handedness associated with the EVIL! To be honest the left handed people face enough trouble carrying out the daily routine work…and so after 22 years of being a proud left-handed I have made a list of problems/strange questions /awkward situations gifted to the southpaws (maybe it’s just me but whatever…).
1. STOP BUMPING YOUR ELBOW INTO MINE!
Of course you all went to that one school/college/office meeting where there is a desk and you are surrounded by right handed colleagues and while all you are trying to do is take notes they give you the much feared ‘LOOK OF DOOM’ because apparently you are ‘doing it on purpose’ and so to avoid the wrath of the furious benchmates you either keep your notebook on your lap and write or mold your hand with the supernatural left handed powers you’ve got…and WOOHOO YOU’VE GOT YOURSELF A NOTEBOOK OF ILLEGIBLE HANDWRITING AND A FEW FRIENDS (what else could you wish for!)
2. Okay, let’s write it down…SMUDGE SMUDGE SMUDGE ALL AROUND
Yup, unless you are Leonardo Da Vinci who actually wrote from right to left that too backwards, you are going to smudge that page bad, your-mum-taking-away your-last-jar-of-Nutella bad. And then when you try to write something on your friend’s notebook ‘Hallelujah’ because you have ruined theirs too! -RETURN OF THE LOOK OF DOOM- Also you get to paint the side of your palm with red/blue/green (how convenient!)
3. Cut that paper for me?
Nah, I’d rather cut my fingers off.
Now, I don’t know if anyone else fits in this category but I have always. Whenever we had some craft/project work and we had to cut out the colourful sheets (tell me about it), I always used to end up either ruining the whole sheet because I could not cut straight or cutting my fingers instead. Both of which are not required for a passing grade in any project.
4. Right-handed desks – Bane of our existence.
Okay, this is something to which every left handed can relate. A desk which has the full elbow to hand support for a right hand…WHAT EVEN! So, there you see all the happy right handed kids in the class writing and painting and there you are trying to maintain balance between the notebook and the piece of wood (misery gets amplified if it is not hinged) attached to the right side of the chair.
5. COMPLIMENTS, ENQUIRIES AND MUCH MORE…
- So many people famous people are left-handed! (Okay.)
- You are so lucky to be unique! (Haha. Yes *_*)
- President Obama is left-handed! (I know.)
- Can you show me your right hand handwriting? (No. I cannot hold a pencil with it.)
- Angelina Jolie is left handed! (Alright.)
- One of my great grandfather’s daughter’s cousin’s uncle’s son’s lost cat’s new owner is left handed! (Wow. So cool. *Applauds*)
- Are you left handed from birth? (No, I just woke up last morning and it happened)
- OMG, Robert De Niro is left handed! (-_-)
- Do you hold the fork in your right hand? (Yes. And to your throat too!)
- Your brain must work differently, eh? (Oh, you don’t know the start of it)
- Oh no man, Justin Bieber is left handed. Poor you. (What.)
- IT IS SO MUCH FUN TO WATCH YOU WRITE!! (I KNOW, RIGHT ?! Want to see me eat too?)
- You know, you can buy a left handed guitar! (*teary eyes* Thank you.)
- OH WELL, I JUST FOUND OUT THAT OPRAH WINFREY IS LEFT HANDED. KINDA MAKES UP FOR JUSTIN BIEBER, DOESN’T IT?! (Yes, the world is at peace again)
- So, is it difficult to use the computer mouse with the right hand? (I don’t know. I am not computer-literate)
- Did you know that the right side of your brain works more because you are a lefty. Ironic, right?! (You sure do know a lot) .
- OKAY YOU WIN. PAUL MCCARTNEY IS LEFT HANDED AND HE USES THE OTHER SIDED BASS , THE ONE I TOLD YOU ABOUT BEFORE! (THANK YOU!)
This was a pretty interesting post to read.
Being a rightie myself, I never considered these things too deeply. If it’s any comfort to you, despite being “dextral” as you called it, I can’t cut straight to save my life.
Haha, it does relieve me of the anxiety a bit. And really, a pair of scissors can be quite complicated to deal with. 😛
Thank you for going through this and taking the time to comment. Much appreciated. 🙂
Scissors and I don’t get along. Period.
My pleasure! 😀
Great post and that last section made me smile A LOT! I am surprised since you are so young that in schools you did not have left handed scissors, more awareness of many who are left handed.Even when I prepare workshops I have items for both left and right handed persons. In my family (me and the kids) we are right handed but left handed for sports (hockey, tennis, golf, baseball…) Btw, thanks for visiting my blog:)
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yay! I made someone smile (which almost never happens in real life) 😀
I know, right? My school was…well, what can i say…was inconsiderate of many other issues -.-
My father is left handed for sports, too 🙂
No worries, the pleasure is all mine, I am so glad that I found your blog. Thank you for being so kind and taking the time to read and comment…I am so happy that there are people who would actually care enough to listen and respond, I haven’t had the fortune of meeting them until I joined WordPress and found some lovely people like you. ❤
Lots of love, Light.
LikeLiked by 1 person